There are three categories of IASR members: Junior members, Regular members and Fellows of the Academy.
Junior members are individuals engaged in suicide research under the direction of a mentor.
Examples are postdoctoral trainees, doctoral or masters students. The duration of a junior membership is limited to 3 years at the end of which they will automatically be considered for regular membership.
- pay no dues
- have free access the electronic version of the journal
- are invited to the meeting
- receive the IASR newsletter
- are eligible for IASR Star Awards
Regular members are individuals who are engaged in ongoing research on suicide, either directly or as advisers, reviewers or consultants in an academic institution or equivalent.
- pay annual dues of $125 USD (US Dollars)
- receive a print copy of the journal
- have access the electronic version of the journal at no charge
Fellows of the Academy are individuals who have established a reputation as significant contributors to knowledge in the field of suicidal behavior. This is exemplified by directing and designing innovative research, making significant contributions to the peer reviewed literature and providing guidance to trainees and developing scientists. Fellows are appointed from among existing regular members or de novo from the scientific community.
Criteria for membership in the Academy
The person should be an outstanding and internationally recognized researcher in the field of suicidology as indicated by publications in peer review journals.
- The research need not necessarily be empirical research, but can include theoretical, ethical or legal research work.
- Should be highly recommended by peers.
- No history of scientific misconduct.
Application procedure for membership in the IASR
The applicant should submit an updated curriculum vitae along with letters of nomination from two (2) current full members.
Please use the online forms on the right, or send your application material by mail to the IASR Secretary – Treasurer, Dr. Annette Erlangsen, at the following address:
All materials received will be reviewed by the Membership Committee, and the applicant will be notified by letter of the Academy’s decision.
If your application is accepted, you will be sent a link to pay your membership dues.
IASR Membership renewal
Current members of the IASR can use the following button to renew their memberships and pay their annual dues.